Veils, like most other things in the wedding industry, are ridiculously overpriced. For my wedding, I wanted a long veil, one that trailed along at the edge of my dress. Cathedral length veils are about as pricey as they come, so this was definitely something I needed to make on my own.
There is no shortage online of videos, articles, and blog posts on how to make a veil. The hardest part is choosing the style and adding embellishments. I decided I wanted a drop veil, because I love how it looks like it’s just delicately placed on the bride’s head, rather than the scrunched or gathered versions that have sort of a cloud of tulle at the back. It attaches to the hair with bobby pins or hat pins, instead of a comb. After googling some instructions and inspiration, I headed off to the fabric store.
Cathedral veils are fairly wide, so I purchased the widest tulle I could find, about 108″ wide. Wanting to match my ivory gown, I chose an ivory tulle. At the time, the only wide ivory tulle the store had on hand was a shimmery tulle. I would have preferred a matte tulle, but this worked just fine. I bought about three and a half yards, so that the veil would be long enough to trail behind the dress by a few inches. You can find instructions on how to measure yourself for a cathedral length veil here.
To make the veil, I folded the tulle in half length-wise, and then in half width-wise. I made a make-shift compass and sketched out rounded edges and cut just inside the line so that the markings wouldn’t be on the finished veil. Then I unfolded it and tried it on. The veil was beautiful on its own, but I thought it might be nice to have a defined edge at the back, since my dress has no trim on the edge of the train. Since lace is fairly costly, I chose to line just a portion of the back of the veil with lace, and I used a coupon! I sewed the lace on by hand and trimmed the tulle to follow the edge of the lace.
Sewing the lace onto the veil was the most time consuming part of the project. In the end, making my own veil cost about $50 and took a few hours to complete. If you wanted to add more detail, it would add more time and raise the cost. Considering that cathedral veils usually cost several hundred dollars, I think this project is worth the effort.